Ole Miss basketball gets the 2012-2013 season underway on November 9 in Oxford against Mississippi Valley State. From that first game on, the Rebels will attempt to match the expectations set by last season's squad. They'll be replacing 29% of their minutes from last season with the contributions of five incoming freshmen.
Ole Miss will experience their biggest drop-off on offense, as the team lost 43.6% of their three-point shooting. That's followed by steals, where they drop 32.8% from last season.
Ole Miss closed out the last season with an overall record of 18-12 and were dead last in the SEC West with a conference record of 8-8. In postseason play, the Rebels lost to Vanderbilt 65-53 in the SEC tournament. Ole Miss lost last year's seniors Terrance Henry (30 minutes per game) and Steadman Short (7 MPG). The Rebels will also have to live without Dundrecous Nelson (21 MPG), Jelan Kendrick (20 MPG), Maurice Aniefiok (6 MPG), Jamal Jones (5 MPG), and Dale Hughes (1 MPG), who left the team.
The Rebels return senior Murphy Holloway (11.2 points/game), senior Nick Williams (10.1 points/game), sophomore Jarvis Summers (3.4 assists/game), senior Reginald Buckner (2.2 blocked shots/game), and sophomore LaDarius White (5.4 points/game).
Freshmen joining the Rebels include 6-3 Martavious Newby, 5-10 Derrick Millinghaus, 6-2 Cade Peeper, 6-9 Anthony Perez, and 6-6 Terry Brutus. Also coming aboard are 6-8 junior Jason Carter (transferred from Alabama) and 6-2 junior Marshall Henderson (transferred from Texas Tech).
The Rebels schedule includes four games against AP preseason Top 25 teams. The first three are #15 Missouri on January 12th, #3 Kentucky on January 29th, and at #10 Florida on February 2nd. The first SEC game for Ole Miss is at Tennessee on January 9th.
Tags: Terrance Henry
- Ole Miss has had 3 consecutive 20+ win seasons.
- Since 2002, Ole Miss has an overall winning percentage of 56.0%. The Rebels have been improving over the last 5 years with an overall winning percentage of 61.5%.
- The Rebels have an average conference finish of 4.4 over the last 5 seasons. Over the past 16 the team has an average finish of 3.5.
- The average final RPI (last year) of opponents on this year's schedule is 115.1.
- This year's opponent with the highest RPI from last year is Kentucky (#1).
- This year's opponent with the lowest RPI from last year is Fordham (#234).
- Ole Miss has 4 Preseason AP Top 25 teams on the schedule.
- The last time Ole Miss returned more than 69% of the team's statistical production was 2006-2007.
, Steadman Short
, Dundrecous Nelson
, Jelan Kendrick
, Maurice Aniefiok
, Jamal Jones
, Dale Hughes
, Murphy Holloway
, Nick Williams
, Jarvis Summers
, Reginald Buckner
, LaDarius White
, Martavious Newby
, Derrick Millinghaus
, Cade Peeper
, Anthony Perez
, Terry Brutus
, Jason Carter
, Marshall Henderson